I watched Iron Lung last night.
It was good. not great, not ground shatteringly incredible, but good. It was a competent, fun horror flick that did manage to unnerve me at parts, and my only real qualms were that the dialogue/writing could have been tighter in parts.
Like I don't really think the film benefitted from any of the scenes showing Simon's past, I know they're super short and not in the way at all, but they also felt unnecessary as a result.
Back when I was a teenager, I was the biggest Markiplier fan, so there was that little part of me who wanted to love it no matter what I actually thought. Unfortunately I have a bit of a fetish for B-list actors, so I'm used to being at least a little underwhelmed by the media I consume for the sake of watching an actor I like finally being in a movie or show.
There's always the gems to look for, you have to look at it that way. I'd rather sit through a million lackluster indie films to find one diamond than bother with over budget Hollywood slop that's fun for an hour or two but then quickly gets wiped from my memory.
Point is, it's a movie you think about. Whether it was good or not, it forces you to think.
it got me thinking about the world. what we've done to it. Where we're going with it.
See, last night I also watched a deep dive into the rise of the radical right among young men. And honestly thatvideo terrified me a thousand times more than any horror film ever could.
It's bone chilling to not only be aware of the elite's attempts at corrupting the narrative and manipulating our lives through any means possible, but to watch them succeed to this extent.
They've taken over the world, and we've just let them.
We've let them warp the minds of young voters, in particular men. Radicalizing them against not only their best interests but against science, against facts, against humanity itself.
I used to be among those young radicalized men. I considered myself a freedom fighter. I thought it was the left lying to me, and the right was trying to show me the way the world really was.
The irony isn't lost on me that I ended up being trans, and that alone toppled everything I had been manipulated into believing. If they're wrong on me being a perverted crossdressing pedo, what else were they wrong about?
It spiraled from there, and now here we are.
I really think we're in a shitty situation in this country, and as a result, the world is in a shitty situation.
I never realized until this last election just how interconnected America is with the rest of the world. For such a young country, we have immense power.
We really don't deserve that power. We don't do anything good with it.
We hand it over to the elites because it's easier that way than to fight our entire lives for something better.
It feels like half of us have just given up, and the other half have been dragging sluggish bodies along with them just to secure a sliver of a chance at a better future.
Why aren't we fighting more? This involves all of us. Not just trans people, not just queer people, not just immigrants, not just people of color or women or people on the spectrum. It's all of us.
What are we doing? Sitting around scrolling TikTok, buying endless mountains of garbage we don't need with money we don't have. Looking up to out of touch celebrities who have been bought and sold just as easily as the rest of us have been.
When will it be enough? Or are we content at this point to watch the world burn?
We know what's coming. We know it can get worse. We know it will get worse.
And it's getting worse on our backs. They've built their empire on top of us and we've let them.
All we have to do is stand up, collectively, all at once, not just you sometimes or me sometimes. All of us, at once, rising up, and it falls.
It could fall so easily and yet we just don't do it.
Why?
It can get worse. It will get worse. And we're just gonna let it happen.
Because we all hate each other too much to even want to see a future where we don't all have to suffer before we survive.
Because what's freedom if it means a trans person gets to be free too? Isn't it better that we all suffer collectively rather than thrive as individuals?
Isn't it better, somehow, someway, to suffer in a box, slowly losing oxygen, waiting for death without fighting for the sake of something else?
I don't know.
I hope, in my time on earth, through something I have done or will do, that I could convince the world, or at least part of it, that fighting is worth it.
Even if it means watching your enemies thrive alongside you, I hope I can convince you that fighting is worth it.
Comments
Post a Comment